- The lore: If it’s cloudy, spring will come early. If it’s sunny you may be psyched in the moment for sunshine, but spring will come (again, this is the lore) later.
- Cloudy or shiny, the first day of spring is March 20, 2017 (thanks, Farmer’s Almanac).
- The groundhog is a rodent of the family Sciuridae, belonging to the group of large ground squirrels (thanks, Wikipedia).
- The 1993 film, Groundhog Day, stars Bill Murray and Andie MacDowell.
Itching to get out into the garden? Wait! Mucking around in the mud can do more damage than good. Take a moment and read acclaimed “how to and woo woo” garden expert Margaret Roach’s February garden chores. It’s a treat.
The real thing to watch this time of year is DAYLIGHT changes. At https://www.timeanddate.com/ you can track how much daylight your part of the earth gets each day of the year. So, for example, Harvest’s headquarters in Boston gains a significant amount of daylight comparing the first of January and the first of April:
- January 1st: 9 hours 9 minutes of daylight
- February 1st: 10 hours 1 minute of daylight
- March 1st: 11 hours 15 minutes of daylight
- April 1st: 12 hours 44 minutes (!) of daylight
Value every minute.