Achieving Shared Sustainability Goals
The Region’s Vision of the Future
Metro Vancouver has mapped out a comprehensive Sustainability Framework. Our services and products overlap a majority of the strategic priorities.
- Solid Waste Imagine a zero waste region, with no waste, only resources.
- Air Quality Clean air for life
- Climate Change A zero net carbon region, resilient to the effects of climate change.
- Ecological Health Healthy and vibrant ecosystems that sustain us all.
- Energy 100% renewable energy in the region.
- Parks and Greenways Healthy parks – healthy people
- Agriculture and Food Ensuring access to a healthy diet for a healthy population supported by local farms
- Culture A vibrant regional culture; conscious, purposeful, and inclusive
Money and Process
- Education and Relationship Building Building understanding, support and engagement in achieving a sustainable region
- International Relations Share and learn on an international level
Our Services and Products Offer Endless Benefits
- We help the region meet its Zero Waste Challenge target of 70 per cent diversion by 2015 by recycling food scraps and yard trimmings.
- We reduce greenhouse gas emissions associated with the transportation of waste materials to distant landfills.
- We sustain local, stable green-collar jobs.
- We provide a valuable service for Port Metro Vancouver by blending tens of thousands of cubic metres per year of river sand from Fraser River sediment reclamation operations designed to maintain navigational channels.
- We reduce methane and leachate production associated with landfill disposal systems by offering an alternative strategy for handling organic materials.
- We produce renewable fuel, power and heat.
- We reduce the region’s reliance on disposal and foreign oil.
- Our top quality compost and soil products enhance farms, gardens, landscapes, fields, nurseries, public works projects and urban gardens.