Organic Waste Recycling
Organic Waste Recycling Solutions in Vancouver, Orlando, and Locations Across North America.
Where others see waste, we see resources. In many communities Harvest Power processes the organic fraction of the waste stream – also known as organic feedstock – including these materials:
YARD TRIMMINGS such as leaves, brush, grass, stumps, pallets, wood chips, and mixed yard waste. Materials accepted vary depending on location. Explore our locations that accept greenwaste and yard trimmings.
FATS, OILS and GREASE (FOG) such as salad dressing, spent cooking oil, etc. Materials accepted vary depending on location. Explore our locations that accept FOG.
Products that are deemed unsuitable for the marketplace can be destroyed safely and efficiently using our depackaging equipment. As part of this service we offer certificates of product destruction.
De-Packaging Available in the Metro Vancouver Region of British Columbia, and Orlando Florida
- Food in plastic containers
- Packaged dairy products
- All bagged foods (e.g. rice, bread, buns, etc)
- Fresh fruits & vegetables
- Packaged produce
- Food in tin cans
- Packaged & unpackaged meat products
- Food products in waxed and corrugated cardboard
- No cleaning products – bleach, shampoo, laundry detergent, soap, toothpaste, etc.
- No empty recyclable containers
- No garbage
- No seafood (fish and fish guts not accepted in British Columbia until further notice; these materials ARE accepted in Orlando.)
The Food Waste Frontier
Organic waste is perhaps the one of the greatest opportunities at our fingertips that we can tackle! Check it out:
About 35 million tons of food waste, plus additional organic waste such as paper, paperboard, and yard trimmings, get sent to landfills and incinerators each year in the United States. ~USEPA, 2012 Municipal Solid Waste Characterization Report
How We Help
It’s a closed loop economy. Harvest Power is committed to helping North America uses its organic waste resources wisely from farm to fork to fuel and back around again. We provide end-to-end seamless support to the Stakeholders and steak holders that intersect organic waste, clean energy, healthy soils, and thriving communities.
Haulers & Food-Waste Generating Businesses
Where you see waste, we see materials brimming with potential. From doorstep to dumpster, we provide the tools organic waste generators need to separate organic materials efficiently and effectively, and deliver them safely to our sites. Haulers are going with the organic waste flow too. We support you to:
- Process Your Organics: Contact us at email@example.com (email)
- Build an Energy Garden: Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org (email)
- Promote Organic Diversion within your Business
- Get Inspired by Other Businesses that have Tackled Food Waste Diversion: SSO Superheroes (blog)
- Provide product destruction certificates
Municipalities & Utilities
Resilient communities. That’s where we’re headed. Municipalities seek to meet the bottom line while sowing the seeds of sustainability in their community. We see pent up demand and unlimited potential to develop a clean energy economy across North America. If you are a municipality or utility, we want to partner with you to:
- Reach Recycling Targets: EPA Statistics on Food Waste Generation (website)
- Lower Costs: TEDx Talk on Organics Management (video)
- Create Effective Policies: “Abolishing Food From Landfills: Could it Work in North America?”
- Develop a Project: Time Lapse of Construction of Harvest’s Energy Garden in Central Florida (video)
Residents & Students
Are you stepping up to the plate to recycle organics, learn more about anaerobic digestion, and revitalize your soil? We support you to:
- Sort Scraps: 3 Tips for Sorting Scraps (video)
- Research: Organics Management References (helpful links to studies and resources)
- Find a Store or Site Close to You: Map of Harvest Sites (map with search by location)
- Cruise our Top Quality Products
- Buy Organics Recycling Swag: Harvest Power Store (the best store for organics management inspiration)
- Get Inspired by Thought Leaders: Organic Connections Video Series (press release with video links)
Landscapers & Agriculture & Horticulture
Dig in. Our aim is to provide the best soil products on the market that simultaneously enrich the earth while stirring your soul. It’s your land. We’re here to support you:
- Buy in bulk in California, British Columbia, Connecticut, Maryland, and Mid-Atlantic States
- Buy soils, mulches, sand, stone, and natural fertilizers in bags: See Map
- Calculate how much you need: Harvest Landscape Calculator online or on your iPhone or Android smartphone
- Hang a Poster in Your Office Celebrating Compost
- Buy “Mmmmm…Mulch” Flip Flops
We carry over 100 products, manufactured and distributed under the highest quality control standards in the industry. We are your partner in managing your soil and mulch inventory. Depend on us for:
- Amazing Products. Mulches, Soils, Potting Mixes, and Stones
- Guaranteed Delivery: We work diligently to guarantee that you have the product on-time and delivered efficiently with our own fleet of flatbeds with dispatchers at every manufacturing facility.
- Customer Service: Our top-rated customer service department, in conjunction with our state of the art IT systems allows for orders to be processed and shipped in the shortest turnaround time in the industry
“The City of Vancouver has goals to be the greenest city in the world. Of course a major part ofthat involves waste. We can’t do it alone, so we’re thrilled to have Harvest Power – one of the most innovative companies in the world – taking our organic material, processing it, and creating energy and good soil. We’re thrilled to have Harvest here and to be a partner with us.”
~Sadhu Johnston, Deputy City Manager, City of Vancouver, BC
“We’re always looking for innovative ways to conserve natural resources and protect the environment. Turning organic waste into clean energy is a logical next step toward realizing long-term sustainability goals.”
~Bill Warren, Administrator for Reedy Creek Improvement District, Florida
“We constantly look for ways to innovate. Sending our food waste to Harvest Power ensures a consistent recycling option, reduces our landfill-bound waste stream, and gives back to the community in the form of clean energy and natural fertilizers. It’s the right thing to do.”
~Cole-Munro Foods Group Inc, St. Thomas, ON
“Sorting our scraps opened up a new way to simultaneously better serve our guests while saving costs. Everyone wins.”
~Chris Brown, Executive Chef, J. W. Marriott, Florida
“The food scrap program is very easy; very convenient. I clear my plates after dinner, and whatever scraps are left after preparing the meal, and I put them in my green can. Once a week the City takes it away.”
~Andrea Phillpotts, Resident, City of Richmond, BC
Did you know?
Our estimates show that one metric tonne of organic waste generates enough electricity for one household for 12 days and 40kg of dry fertilizer.
- Definitely a great breakdown of the calculations you gotta...October 2, 2017 - 6:07 pm by Frank
- My wife and I just built a garden but it's been taking up...September 29, 2017 - 3:38 pm by Derek Dewitt
- This is some really good information about mulch. I just...September 15, 2017 - 12:15 am by Ivy Baker