Mulch is a landscaper’s best friend because it:
- reduces weeds;
- improves moisture retention;
- maintains soil temperatures; and
- enhances the beauty of landscapes.
Mulch is basically a magic carpet for your landscape.
How do you choose the right mulch for your landscape?
Using quality mulch in your garden is one of the easiest ways to transform your landscape. Mulch comes in all shapes and sizes and flavors. When choosing a mulch there are a few factors to consider – species of wood, source, size, and color – to identify a mulch that will best fit your needs. Since the selection process can be tricky we summarized our most popular mulches with the following descriptions.
This mulch has a pleasant cedar smell that lasts a fair amount of time after spreading. Cedar is also great for repelling insects. Cedar mulch has a very slow decay process so it won’t break down quickly. Also, cedar mulch is the most resistant to artillery fungus.
- AVAILABLE IN BULK: Canadian Cedar is available at our Harvest New England locations in Connecticut.
- AVAILABLE IN BAGS: Cedar Mulch Blend (2-cubic-foot bags) by Garden Pro® is available in stores in New England, the Mid-Atlantic, and Southeast.
BARK MULCHES / COLORED BARK MULCHES
This is a recycled mulch usually made from hardwood logs and bark. These types of mulches break down quickly and add nutrients to the soil. Natural colorants make this mulch stand out.
- AVAILABLE IN BULK: Ultra Brown Mulch is our most popular product in New England (Connecticut). We also have Brown Double Shredded Hardwood Mulch and Black Double Shredded Hardwood Mulch in the Mid-Atlantic (Maryland, DC, Virginia).
- AVAILABLE IN BAGS: We offer Brown-, Red- and Black- Colored mulch (2- and 3- cubic foot bags) by Nature’s Pride in stores throughout the Mid-Atlantic.
PINE BARK MULCH
This mulch has a naturally rich dark color with a pleasant pine scent. Pine mulch is a slow decomposer and is often over looked. This mulch has great longevity and is relatively inexpensive!
- AVAILABLE IN BULK: Pine Blend is one of our most popular mulches, available in New England (Connecticut). Pine Fines are an exceptional soil conditioner for acid-loving plants such as azaleas, hollies and magnolias – available in the Mid-Atlantic (Maryland, DC, Virginia).
- AVAILABLE IN BAGS: We offer a variety of Pine- based mulches including Pine Bark Mulch in two-cubic-foot bags in New England, the Mid-Atlantic and Southeast.
This mulch has strong reddish and orange tones which add rich color to landscapes. Hemlock mulch is very aromatic. Just like cedar and pine mulch, hemlock mulches decomposes slowly so it is long lasting. Hemlock has a natural reddish look.
- AVAILABLE IN BULK: Hemlock Mulch is available in at our Harvest New England locations.
- AVAILABLE IN BAGS: Hemlock Mulch Blend is available in two-cubic-foot bags in New England, the Mid-Atlantic and Southeast.
Where can I find mulch from Harvest?
Great question! In addition to the mulches listed above, we offer a variety of mulch (and soil) products throughout North America. Find a convenient location near you:
- A Store or Site Near You
- How much mulch (or soil) do I need? (Hint: Length x Width x Height, divided by 27.)
- What’s the proper way to mulch around trees? (Hint: Spread evenly.)
- How can I support my trees? (Hint: Give them a “tree pedicure!” See video below.)
Editor’s Note: This article was originally posted as “Choosing a Mulch: Practical Beauty” in March 2014; it has been re-posted with permission by the author, Shelley Sales, with updated content, availability, links and video.