Have you noticed the increased awareness around the interlocking connections between soil, nature, and wellness? We have. While doctors don’t yet prescribe bags of soil or mulch – take two and call me in the morning! – communities are increasingly recognizing that nature provides boundless benefits. Here are a few examples:
- SOIL HAS SURPRISING HEALING PROPERTIES: Healthy soil has lots of micro- and macro-bacteria, and interacting with that dynamic environment develops your own biosphere. Read about how dirt heals us.
- GARDENING IS EXERCISE! Bending, scooping, weeding and planting burns 200-400 calories per hour.
- FRESH AIR IMPROVES YOUR HEALTH. Seriously: Doctors are now prescribing visits to parks. Skip the visit to the doctor and go straight to your backyard, park, or playground.
- NATURE CAN MAKE YOU MORE SUCCESSFUL: Noticing your surroundings makes you more present, more mindful, and arguably more successful. Take a moment to notice your surroundings and you’ll get better at staying calm and focused.
- NATURE MAKES US HAPPY. The author of Nature Fix spent three years researching how nature impacts our brains.
Have you noticed a connection between how much time you spend in nature and your level of wellness?